What next?

cmat1120

Hello, I don't post too much on here as I really haven't touched my car other than an alarm mod which I'm not actually sure if I posted on here or not. Anyways I've finally gotten the itch to look into more power. My C5 has been modified previously so I decided first step would be to get it dynoed and see if it has been tuned. Turns out it was tuned by the exact same shop I took it to. The car dynoed at around 335 for both hp and tq and it ran basically on the absolute leanest that would be acceptable. This is likely due to a dirty maf which I'll be cleaning asap. As far as mods on the car other than the tune its got headers of some sort, varam intake and exhaust. What I'm curious about now is what should my next step be? The end goal is a blower, but due to money thats not an option right now. I am however curious if theres any supporting mods for a blower setup that I could make over time until I get one. The options I've looked at so far are cams, intake mani and ls6 heads. It seems like the ls6 head would be a good next step, but I'm not sure I know enough yet and would like some outside input. Also if anyone has any input on whether I'm putting down good numbers for whats done I'd appreciate that as well. I'm happy with them currently(I mean the car feels plenty fast), but just curious if they are what they should be.

joe@cpr.com

Hello, I don't post too much on here as I really haven't touched my car other than an alarm mod which I'm not actually sure if I posted on here or not. Anyways I've finally gotten the itch to look into more power. My C5 has been modified previously so I decided first step would be to get it dynoed and see if it has been tuned. Turns out it was tuned by the exact same shop I took it to. The car dynoed at around 335 for both hp and tq and it ran basically on the absolute leanest that would be acceptable. This is likely due to a dirty maf which I'll be cleaning asap. As far as mods on the car other than the tune its got headers of some sort, varam intake and exhaust. What I'm curious about now is what should my next step be? The end goal is a blower, but due to money thats not an option right now. I am however curious if theres any supporting mods for a blower setup that I could make over time until I get one. The options I've looked at so far are cams, intake mani and ls6 heads. It seems like the ls6 head would be a good next step, but I'm not sure I know enough yet and would like some outside input. Also if anyone has any input on whether I'm putting down good numbers for whats done I'd appreciate that as well. I'm happy with them currently(I mean the car feels plenty fast), but just curious if they are what they should be.

Who tuned it? If doing a supercharger don't waste your money on heads unless your looking for big power down the road. If you want to do a blower cam great, just pin the crank while your in there if you do your own work, or whatever shop you use have them do it. Are you an auto or manual btw?

I concur with Joe. I'm doing the same thing right now... got a cam specd for a blower down the road that will perform well for na in the meantime, also throwing on an ati damper w/ a pin kit while I'm in there

Arizona Dyno Chip tuned it. I don't remember the name of the individual though. What would you define as big power? I'd probably be happy with mid to high 400's, but getting into the 5-600's eventually is in the back of my mind. If I can get pretty decent power with just adding the supercharger and a good tune i'd definitely be happy with that as I can probably do most of the actual install part myself with that. I was quoted around 20 hours of labor for a cam install. I'm not sure if thats what it should be, but it came out pretty pricey of me at the moment making me lean towards just saving up and blowing it instead. And its a manual.

Yes, 335 hp at the rear wheels.

joe@cpr.com

Nic d most likely tuned it then as Arizona dyno chip is just a place nic rents out dyno time. That's good if he is the one that did btw! Cam install is not 20 hours either, we are just a touch over 8.

I would skip power mods if blower is coming. Look at tires, clutch, maybe save up for fuel system, etc so when blower goes on you are good to go.

Cool thanks for the advice. Any specific shops near Tucson or phx that would do a good job for a reasonable price on a cam install? Also what would be a good blower cam? I really like the big cams like the ms4, but I know that isn't such a good idea with a blower. And thanks unreal I do need to keep that in mind. For a blower setup am I going to need a new pump out just injectors? Or something else too?

joe@cpr.com

Do a custom grind, most base blower kits come with a boost a pump and the needed injectors to get you to a certain point. Beyond that you need additional fueling, but also comes other items needed to support it.

Oh and as far as which shop that's an easy one ;)

BAP and injectors typically can get you to 550-600rwhp, meth can maybe get a bit more if you use it for fuel.

So it just depends on how much power you want to make.

That sounds like more than enough for me. So really I should be looking for a clutch and maybe a cam. And thanks, didn't realize you represented a shop. I'll give you guys a call if I decide to go with a cam.

Cordes is the shop to go to, and Joe won't steer you wrong. They did my C5, currently at 760/695 hp/tq, but I progressed through all the stages of modifications. If you want to discuss my progression and opinions send me a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Do a custom grind, most base blower kits come with a boost a pump and the needed injectors to get you to a certain point. Beyond that you need additional fueling, but also comes other items needed to support it.

+2

Yep, easy choice. Joe and his guys did my clutch install last year before I installed a cam and blower. Had I not done those myself I definitely would have enlisted them and I'm sure I will in the future.