blinking HUD

aenigma

I have a client who was just hit in her vette - low impact. She's getting her vette fixed but also immediately noticed her HUD is blinking rapidly. State Farm said it has nothing to do with the accident and are refusing to pay the diagnostic. I personally think (without knowing a lot) that maybe the accident caused something to go loose. If she pays for the diagnostic and the dealership says for sure it was caused by the accident, she will have something to argue with State Farm. However, I also know that HUDs do have the issue of going bad. Coincidental?

Has anyone had their HUD rapidly blink just due to wear? She has a 2003. I want to give her some information because she's not keen on paying for a diagnostic since she thinks it has to come from the accident.

If a GM Dealer does in fact find the problem to be accident related I believe (with docs in hand) the BS estimator can submit that as a supplement to State Farm for the additonal repairs and get her reimbursed for the diag.

If a GM Dealer does in fact find the problem to be accident related I believe (with docs in hand) the BS estimator can submit that as a supplement to State Farm for the additonal repairs and get her reimbursed for the diag.

Yes, I know. I'm just curious if anyone has had that issue without having an accident.

The HUD contains solid state components that are much more voltage sensitive than shock sensitive. If the assembly broke and fell down into the dash, I think it would bode better for replacement than just a malfunction of the projector or other components. While the crash may have been a direct cause, proving it will be quite difficult since there is nothing in the service manual that specifically calls out failure due to accident or shock.

Ahhhh thanks! I was hoping for something better for her. What you said makes total sense.

Guest badbobs95

That exact same thing happened in my 04 once. After a couple days of the thing rapidly blinking, I started changing the display maybe ten times and it went back to normal. However, it is nice and bright on a cloudy day or at night but I can hardly see the damn thing in the daylight. Maybe it's just me!

"...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Or more to the point - it worked before the accident! They should have to prove that it didn't work before the accident.

Of course I'm no lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn one night...