17,000 miles on one tank of gas.....

FNBADAZ06

Yep.

Had lunch with Mike and Maria (LMBZ4ME) at Kona Grill this past weekend, and got to talking about his electric Chevy Volt ownership experience.

In one year, totaling 17K+ miles, he has gone thru one tank of gas !!! He says his electric bill has gone up roughly $20/month with his charging station, and can go to work and the gym on electric power only (under 50 miles). The Volt performs some type of pre-programmed gas burn to cycle old fuel out of the system, so there's always going to be some miniscule gas consumption every year.

Pretty damn impressive, and after driving his Volt last year, I can say that the acceleration and ride was really suprising.

Wow, impressive indeed.

Been reading alot about some electric motorcycles coming out, even Harley has an electric concept bike.

even Harley has an electric concept bike.

Must have ape hangers, A Harley that goes woosh, woosh????? WTH!!!

Oh tea, Volt, that is awesome mileage and awesome savings....financially that is.

Wow, impressive indeed.

Been reading alot about some electric motorcycles coming out, even Harley has an electric concept bike.

But how will they make it as obnoxious as all their other models sound wise then?

Yep.

Had lunch with Mike and Maria (LMBZ4ME) at Kona Grill this past weekend, and got to talking about his electric Chevy Volt ownership experience.

In one year, totaling 17K+ miles, he has gone thru one tank of gas !!! He says his electric bill has gone up roughly $20/month with his charging station, and can go to work and the gym on electric power only (under 50 miles). The Volt performs some type of pre-programmed gas burn to cycle old fuel out of the system, so there's always going to be some miniscule gas consumption every year.

Pretty damn impressive, and after driving his Volt last year, I can say that the acceleration and ride was really suprising.

But can it rape a Z06?! That's the $64K question. :P

That's still 50 miles of electric propulsion range without having to use a drop of gas. If I had a 75 mile commute daily in my one ton truck that got only 10 MPG, I still get the equivalent of 30 MPG.....right ?

Would you be opposed to a C8 with an electric motor to augment the standard gasoline engine ?

Lets say, a pair of 125 HP electric motors (250 HP total), with one attached to the FRONT wheels, the other coupled with a 650 HP LT4 driving the rear wheels ? The electric motors supply on demand power, creating an all wheel drive when warrantied ? 900 HP total ?

I wonder if such a manufacture has even thought of this novel idea...... :pensativo:

I wonder if such a manufacture has even thought of this novel idea...... :pensativo:

I am not totally familiar with the systems Vic, but I think both Audi and Porsche have similar setups under development. Porsche has raced a 'hybrid' 911 at Le Mans recently and it was damn quick.

That's still 50 miles of electric propulsion range without having to use a drop of gas. If I had a 75 mile commute daily in my one ton truck that got only 10 MPG, I still get the equivalent of 30 MPG.....right ?

I don't get it. . .

I don't understand the value of an electric vehicle that is capable of only commuting distances; you still must have a second vehicle.

So, you're buying less gas; but in addition to the cost of electricity to run it you have the much larger expenditure to purchase the electric vehicle (MSRP is in the low $30K range). Plus the cost of insurance, registration and maintenance.

How many years of 'gas savings' will it take to break even?

Well Donna, for a family it's not a bad idea. We have 4 cars at our house already. So if I replaced one or two of them with something like this, the savings would be well worth it. If it's a road trip, we take the other car.

Well Donna, for a family it's not a bad idea. We have 4 cars at our house already. So if I replaced one or two of them with something like this, the savings would be well worth it. If it's a road trip, we take the other car.

Agreed. THAT would make sense.

Well, I have a work car. My only use for the Corvette (or any personal vehicle) is short trips to and from the gym and stores. I only drive 4000 miles per year for personal use. Not sure am electric fits that bill.

I don't get it. . .

I don't understand the value of an electric vehicle that is capable of only commuting distances; you still must have a second vehicle.

So, you're buying less gas; but in addition to the cost of electricity to run it you have the much larger expenditure to purchase the electric vehicle (MSRP is in the low $30K range). Plus the cost of insurance, registration and maintenance.

How many years of 'gas savings' will it take to break even?

The Volt's range is not limited to EV battery mode only, per se. There's an on board gasoline engine that is used to power a generator which charges the batteries and supplies electricity to the drive motors. The rated range while burning gasoline is 380 total miles. That will get you from Phoenix to San Diego....or Las Vegas, before filling up with 9 gallons of gas. If you spent most of your driving on the highway in excess of 50 miles a day, a Prius type hybrid would be the prefered option. For city drivers that have commutes of 50 miles or less, in stop and go traffic, the Volt is the better solution.

The Nissan Leaf, however, is a city only car that has a 50 mile range before it needs to be charged.

I know the tax break/incentive was $7500, but I don't know what it is currently. The lease options were pretty good a year ago, but I also understand you can now get great purchase options. MSRP starts at $34,000.

So, the question becomes what kind of savings could you expect annually ? It's based on your driving habits, daily and annual miles driven, and the cost of gasoline.

If you would have driven that same 17K miles in a vehicle that gets an average 30 MPG combined city/highway, you'd burn 566+ gallons of unleaded fuel. At an average of 3.35/gallon over the course of a year, you've spent $1900 on gas. Subtract the $240/year in additional electricity cost for charging the car, I see a net savings of $1658 a year on fuel cost.

There's not many vehicles that get a combined city/highway 30 MPG.

The Volt may not fit everyone's driving needs and profiles, but I could easily use a Volt for my general daily driving needs (30 miles round trip to office), and the 20+ additional goof off miles I might drive each day, and not use a drop of gasoline.

My current daily driver averages 20-21 MPG per tank of premium unleaded fuel. At $3.65/gallon average, I'm looking at $2954 annual fuel cost on this car alone at 17K miles a year driving.

Would a Volt make financial sense for everyone's situation, or someone who drives 6000 miles annually ? Maybe not, especially if they drive an econobox to begin with.

I am not totally familiar with the systems Vic, but I think both Audi and Porsche have similar setups under development. Porsche has raced a 'hybrid' 911 at Le Mans recently and it was damn quick.

The new Porsche 918 Spyder uses this new propulsion system :thumbs:

"The engine weighs 135 kg according to Porsche and it delivers 608 horsepower (453 kW) at 8,500 rpm and 528 N·m (389 lbf·ft) of maximum torque.[3] This is supplemented by two electric motors delivering an additional 279 hp (208 kW).[10] One 154 hp (115 kW)[3] electric motor drives the rear wheels in parallel with the engine and also serves as the main generator.[10] This motor and engine deliver power to the rear axle via a 7-speed gearbox coupled to Porsche's own PDK double-clutch system. The front 125 hp (93 kW)[3] electric motor directly drives the front axle; an electric clutch decouples the motor when not in use.[10] The total system delivers 887 hp (661 kW) and 1,275 N·m (940 lbf·ft) of torque.[3] By October 2012 the engineering design was not finalized,[10] but Porsche provided performance figures of 0–100 km/h (62 mph) in 2.6 seconds,[11] 0-200 km/h (120 mph) in 7.2 seconds, 300 kilometres per hour (190 mph) in 19.9 seconds and a top speed of approximately 345 kilometres per hour (214 mph).[3]"

porsche-918-03.jpg

The Ferrari LaFerrari, the McClaren P1, and the Porsche 918 are all hybrids and produce 963, 890, and 887 HP respectively.

Not too shabby.

Bromley's Corvettes

Wow, impressive indeed.

My BMW motorcycle gets 46 mpg and has 200h.p:) You can park anywhere and always get through traffic and use the HOV lane 24/7:) The a/c does not always work very good but its a trade off I have learned to live with :) I wonder if the Harley electric bike will have peddles like a bicycle so when it brakes down you can peddle home lol. I bet it will still leak oil though lol:)