iPhone & Android Scan Tools

jmxp69

I've been using my Android and iOS devices for basic scanning/monitoring since I got my C5. Just thought I'd whip up a little post to put everything in one place and hopefully help you save some money if you're interested in this type of thing.

Software

There are several different Android/iOS apps available out there. Some are free, some cost a few bucks. Personally, I like Dashcommand. It's $9.99 on iOS and free on Android with in-app purchases.

- Android Version

- iOS Version

There are other options out there, but I like Dashcommand because it looks more polished, it's easy to use and provides lots of information. It has the ability to read/clear trouble codes, monitor performance, customize gauges and more.

Hardware

You need to buy an OBD-II module to work with these scanning tools. They work over bluetooth or wifi. There are two approaches and your phone/tablet platform decides what options you get.

Android - Can use either wifi or bluetooth. Setup is really simple: Install the software, insert the module into your OBD port. If you have a bluetooth model, pair your phone to the module, open the app and connect. If you have a wifi model, open your wifi settings and connect to the module SSID. It should have an obvious SSID like OBDIIScanner.

iOS - I don't believe there are any bluetooth modules for iOS, so you can only use wifi. I reserve the right to be wrong about this, but I can tell you finding a wifi module was a piece of cake and my iPhone did not work with the bluetooth module that worked great with my Android device. At any rate, setup is the same. Open wifi settings, connect to the module SSID, open app and go.

I have both of the following modules. The wifi module works with both Android and iOS. The bluetooth module works only with Android. I'm sharing this info because the app has a link showing "approved/known working" modules and in many cases, they are $100+. You don't need to spend that much.

Wifi Module - $21.99 Good for Android and iOS.

Bluetooth Module - $23.99 Good for Android only.

Hope someone finds this info useful.

I've been playing with a couple of them. Like you I am leaning towards the dashcommand too. I've also installed the torque one too but it's not as user friendly I don' think. I am using the androind version since I don't have an ipad/phone. I've only tried it on my Grand Prix though since the Vette hasn't seen sunlight for over a month.

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I just downloaded the app and ordered the wifi module from Amazon. Looking forward to using it.

It's pretty cool software. It's supposed to have data logging capability but I've never figured out how to use it. Have fun with it.

In addition to DashCommand, Palmer Performance also makes the DashLogic for you folks with a DIC or a HUD. I'm getting one for my ZL1.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great Info! I've been using a Blue Tooth OBDII Reader and my Samsung Note 2 and Note 4 for about 18 months now with the Android Software program TORQ. I am extremely happy with the convenience and capabilities of these devices. I can scan codes, erase codes, monitor just about anything I can imagion from the ECM. Also, I can transfer codes to another program on my phone and trouble shoot accordingly. It's the only way to monitor your ECM conveniently. In addition, there is a million other things you can monitor while using the software on your phone. In addition, don't be cheap on your Blue Tooth OBDII Plug In Reader. Good quality OBDII readers run around 25.00 to 35.00 US Dollars. A high quality Smart Phone and Blue Tooth Wireless OBDII Reader can really make your Corvette life much easier. Nooooo! You can't program your ECM with these devices. Hope this helps. Mach84 :Jake:

• 9 months later...

I've been using my Android and iOS devices for basic scanning/monitoring since I got my C5. Just thought I'd whip up a little post to put everything in one place and hopefully help you save some money if you're interested in this type of thing.

Software

There are several different Android/iOS apps available out there. Some are free, some cost a few bucks. Personally, I like Dashcommand. It's $9.99 on iOS and free on Android with in-app purchases.

- Android Version

- iOS Version

There are other options out there, but I like Dashcommand because it looks more polished, it's easy to use and provides lots of information. It has the ability to read/clear trouble codes, monitor performance, customize gauges and more.

Hardware

You need to buy an OBD-II module to work with these scanning tools. They work over bluetooth or wifi. There are two approaches and your phone/tablet platform decides what options you get.

Android - Can use either wifi or bluetooth. Setup is really simple: Install the software, insert the module into your OBD port. If you have a bluetooth model, pair your phone to the module, open the app and connect. If you have a wifi model, open your wifi settings and connect to the module SSID. It should have an obvious SSID like OBDIIScanner.

iOS - I don't believe there are any bluetooth modules for iOS, so you can only use wifi. I reserve the right to be wrong about this, but I can tell you finding a wifi module was a piece of cake and my iPhone did not work with the bluetooth module that worked great with my Android device. At any rate, setup is the same. Open wifi settings, connect to the module SSID, open app and go.

I have both of the following modules. The wifi module works with both Android and iOS. The bluetooth module works only with Android. I'm sharing this info because the app has a link showing "approved/known working" modules and in many cases, they are $100+. You don't need to spend that much.

Wifi Module - $21.99 Good for Android and iOS.

Bluetooth Module - $23.99 Good for Android only.

Hope someone finds this info useful.

Is it just me, or did we lose the links during the software upgrade?