Who does Proautosports

ICULUKN

Im putting Blackula on the track this winter.. Who else wants to do Proautosports this winter.

I did them last year. Every time I've wanted to go this year I've been out of town :(. But I'm hoping to get to a couple later this year :edward:

Im putting Blackula on the track this winter..

Who else wants to do Proautosports this winter.

I will be at the combined event in Sept. I hope to make the Indie event next week but work is fighting me about leaving early.

I have to get my Proautosports license and change my back tires to something that is not a drag radial. I am also looking at adding an oil cooler and maybe some coilovers. I already added C6 Z06 swaybars...

Proautosport schedule for the balanace of the year.

http://www.proautosp.../SCHEDULE07.pdf

FIR Main, Mondo (FIR Main and Bondurant) and Inde are great tracks to stretch the legs on a high HP car 140mph+ on the straight

FIR East and FIR West are short and fun tracks, FIR West is a technical track

Plenty of guys running corvette's; from high power GT1 corvettes in the race group to base C6 vette is the beginner group. Everyone is very helpful and you can grab an instructor if you would like to ride along after your first couple of sessions. Easy going atmosphere.

Blurr... I am well versed in all of the Firebird tracks. In my younger years I raced motorcycles (CCS) on all 3 + have spent my time on the drag strip with my old and current vette. I have not run Bondurant or Inde yet, but sounds like fun. My current vette does 0-150 in 10 seconds (925 RWHP) from a stand still. I can easily trap 175 going under the bridge..LOL... Hope I have enough brakes to slow me down before the carousel.. I see you have a new toy coming.. cant wait to see it. Looks very cool. I will probably take you advise and grab an instructor for my 1st few laps just so I do not put her in the kitty litter.

Blurr... I am well versed in all of the Firebird tracks. In my younger years I raced motorcycles (CCS) on all 3 + have spent my time on the drag strip with my old and current vette.

I have not run Bondurant or Inde yet, but sounds like fun.

My current vette does 0-150 in 10 seconds (925 RWHP) from a stand still. I can easily trap 175 going under the bridge..LOL... Hope I have enough brakes to slow me down before the carousel..

I see you have a new toy coming.. cant wait to see it. Looks very cool.

I will probably take you advise and grab an instructor for my 1st few laps just so I do not put her in the kitty litter.

Glen,

For HPDE's, especially your first couple events in your Vette, I would seriously look for a way to crank down the boost...somewhere in the 500-550 range.

If you're going out on regular street tires and don't know the full capability's of your brake system, your car on full boost might be exceptionally unruley on the track.

Blurr... I am well versed in all of the Firebird tracks. In my younger years I raced motorcycles (CCS) on all 3 + have spent my time on the drag strip with my old and current vette.

I have not run Bondurant or Inde yet, but sounds like fun.

My current vette does 0-150 in 10 seconds (925 RWHP) from a stand still. I can easily trap 175 going under the bridge..LOL... Hope I have enough brakes to slow me down before the carousel..

I see you have a new toy coming.. cant wait to see it. Looks very cool.

I will probably take you advise and grab an instructor for my 1st few laps just so I do not put her in the kitty litter.

Good deal......seems all the ex motorcycle racers (Phil B. and few others come to mind) who have transitioned to 4 wheels are bad fast. Been so long since I raced motorcyles, come to think of it, I might still have my old leather helmet :facepalm:

Wow 175 by the bridge, there's guy who has a silver Z06 with an MTI motor and full Phadt suspension I think he said he gets to about 175 by the time he puts on the brakes for the carousel. Best I ever saw in my stock Z was 153 before getting on the binders.

The lowest my car will boost is 17#... LOL... that is 925 hp... My built low compression motor made 425 RWHP at 0 boost... I would have to retune the car to get it boost lower. I will just lift early to keep the speeds manageable and stay in the novice group for a bit. Tell me...will my 2 step help me get off the line in a race...LOL I thought 175 was a conservative number. Meaning that I would only be at 25 MPH at the Christmas Tree on Main.. I think I can take that turn at 40. That would put me at 190 under the bridge... My instructor better hang on...LOL... I have GPS verfied run at 236 already. Without an oil cooler, I am probably only good for 4-5 laps each session. It will be a good time regardless just hanging out with you fast guys.

I was doing 150 at the bridge and after the fourth lap I had my first feelings of what brake fade was. Your correct in that you can probably roll onto the strip at 30 or so but watch out for the slippery painted section. There is too much concrete wall for me to get on it untill I straighten out and line up. I found out that too much Hp is not alway desired. The rear end is wanting to catch up with the front end and pass. See you there!

I was doing 150 at the bridge and after the fourth lap I had my first feelings of what brake fade was. Your correct in that you can probably roll onto the strip at 30 or so but watch out for the slippery painted section. There is too much concrete wall for me to get on it untill I straighten out and line up. I found out that too much Hp is not alway desired. The rear end is wanting to catch up with the front end and pass.

See you there!

Da' Slammer knows what he's talking 'bout, and speaks from experience :thumbs

Do you guys run your street tires ... if so .. .what ones do you run?

First time we all went out, yes..we were all on our regular street tires.

By our third event, most of us had switched to using dedicated R comp tires on a dedicated set of wheels.

I'm using Michelin Pilot Sport Cups N1's but several of the others are running Toyo R888's, which they are very happy with. My MPSC's are pretty much toast so I may give the R888's a try, or just go ahead and move up to the Hoosier A6's.

Ask SLAMMER about the R888's, as he just recently moved to them and has run several HPDE's.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to do some Pro Autosport HPDEs and NASA ones as well, schedule permitting. I need some new tires though since it currently have nitto drag radials in back. Need to start off with some street tires though since I need to get used to the Z (coming from 03 Slowbra).

I'm looking to do some Pro Autosport HPDEs and NASA ones as well, schedule permitting. I need some new tires though since it currently have nitto drag radials in back. Need to start off with some street tires though since I need to get used to the Z (coming from 03 Slowbra).

You definetly would want to start on a normal street tire, then work your way to comp tires as you get a feel for the car and your driving skills mature...especially if you don't have any track experience. Several members here are taking their orientation classes with ProAuto Sports Firebird Main Track event in November.....you'll find that thread in the ACE Events section of this board here....

http://www.arizonacorvetteenthusiasts.net/arizonavette/forums/index.php?showtopic=18841

You'll also find several threads with pics and video from our past HPDE's in this section.

I'm a member of CF as well (same screen name) and think you were the one that just had head work and an E85 tune done with Jan at Xtreme...if so, your car is even more of a handful than a stocker .

Welcome to the site :thumbs

You definetly would want to start on a normal street tire, then work your way to comp tires as you get a feel for the car and your driving skills mature...especially if you don't have any track experience. Several members here are taking their orientation classes with ProAuto Sports Firebird Main Track event in November.....you'll find that thread in the ACE Events section of this board here....

http://www.arizonacorvetteenthusiasts.net/arizonavette/forums/index.php?showtopic=18841

You'll also find several threads with pics and video from our past HPDE's in this section.

I'm a member of CF as well (same screen name) and think you were the one that just had head work and an E85 tune done with Jan at Xtreme...if so, your car is even more of a handful than a stocker .

That's me. Yep, seen you on that site as well. I've done a few HPDE in the cobra, but I haven't had the Z on track yet. It's definitely more of a handful than the cobra was. I got tired of trying to hang with the vettes at the track only to be left holding my lunch in the corners. The cobra has good low end grunt with a pulley, but she was a heavy pig especially with the stock suspension. Any suggestions on a decent street tire to run. Thinking maybe NT05s or Michelins to start. I need to start look at some track pads too i suppose. First couple times out though, I'll be taking er easy to get a feel for the new ride.

Pete

http://www.arizonaco...showtopic=18841

That's me. Yep, seen you on that site as well. I've done a few HPDE in the cobra, but I haven't had the Z on track yet. It's definitely more of a handful than the cobra was. I got tired of trying to hang with the vettes at the track only to be left holding my lunch in the corners. The cobra has good low end grunt with a pulley, but she was a heavy pig especially with the stock suspension. Any suggestions on a decent street tire to run. Thinking maybe NT05s or Michelins to start. I need to start look at some track pads too i suppose. First couple times out though, I'll be taking er easy to get a feel for the new ride.

Pete

Pete,

I think you'll find the stock pads and tires will work fine for your first couple of events. Just make sure you have at least 7MM left on the pads,bleed the brakes and you have good amount of tread left.. Let me know if you need any help looking over the car, I still have pucks, jacks etc to lift the car. There's a group of us Tim, Victor and David from past experience know what to look for to keep you safe. I think you will find the Z a significant step up in performance and handling, especially with the independent rear suspension.

Pete

Pete,

I think you'll find the stock pads and tires will work fine for your first couple of events. Just make sure you have at least 7MM left on the pads,bleed the brakes and you have good amount of tread left.. Let me know if you need any help looking over the car, I still have pucks, jacks etc to lift the car. There's a group of us Tim, Victor and David from past experience know what to look for to keep you safe. I think you will find the Z a significant step up in performance and handling, especially with the independent rear suspension.

The Cobra had IRS. It's just so heavy and the stock suspension is sorta compliant with lots of body roll. Thanks for the advice. Where abouts are you in the valley? I might take you up on the offer to look that car over. What are you goes using for brake fluid and bleeding? I used the Motive bleeder with the Cobra. Figuring I'd get a new one for the Vette. Also, any recommendations on fluid. I've got a bottle of Castrol SRF or whatever. Thinking of using that.

Pete

Pete,

The Cobra had IRS. It's just so heavy and the stock suspension is sorta compliant with lots of body roll. Thanks for the advice. Where abouts are you in the valley? I might take you up on the offer to look that car over. What are you goes using for brake fluid and bleeding? I used the Motive bleeder with the Cobra. Figuring I'd get a new one for the Vette. Also, any recommendations on fluid. I've got a bottle of Castrol SRF or whatever. Thinking of using that.

Gilbert -- Higley and Guadalupe. Motive bleeder works great, just need to buy an adapter to fit the Z. SRF is the best but expensive, I used motul 600 in my Z, worked well haven't had any problems, although I will will probably change to SRF with the race car.