Show Me Your Tool - MacGyver Style

theChad

Like anything one does, there's always a special tool for that. I want to see or hear about your home built DIY custom tools for getting the job done.

post-1402-1274395230_thumb.jpg

Recently, I installed a set of duct screens in the front fenders of my C5, but needed somehow to hold it all in there tight for awhile so the silicone would dry.

Answer: string pulled back to the side mirrors. The hard part was getting the string through the screen and back out.

Answer: Windshield wiper blade steel... small, thin, and strong. This also works great as a lock pick tension wrench. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think everyone has a set of these cheap alternatives to jack pucks.

Hockey jack puck:

Posted Image

Clutch reservoir fluid remover: Repurposed "flavor injector" syringe.

Posted Image

Gotta have a good trashcan. Recycled oil drum.

Posted Image

Not Vette related, but more handy uses for windshield wiper blade steel.

This one is for twisting the friction break tube/spring on a vertical sliding window. I've had a few break on me recently.

Posted Image

I have several tools in my arsenal that I love.

there was a remodel at a PetCo that i was managing. There was the hanging light boxes used for signage.

One went home with me.

I have used that sucker 100's of times. From laying in the back seat to light up a dash stereo install at night, to (see pictuered) under the car. No heat, even light, and the bulb does not go out when you drop it.

Posted Image

I use tie down straps a lot. from my vert cover install

Posted Image

to a one man hood removal

Posted Image

Ahh blue painters tape. To help align crooked exhaust tips.

Posted Image

When I saw the title "Show Me Your Tool" and that Chad posted up right away I thought he might have posted pictures of his............nevermind

When I saw the title "Show Me Your Tool" and that Chad posted up right away I thought he might have posted pictures of his............and got excited.

Fixed it for ya. :lol

• 1 month later...

Just did my annual summerizing cleaning of the radiator & condenser.

Posted Image

1/2 inch copper pipe about 3' long with hose fitting on one end and a cap on the other with a slot cut on the side done with a hack saw. You can add a ball valve or find a hose nozzle with a threaded snout.

Posted Image

After pulling the shroud & spreading the condenser away from the radiator thers enogh room to get the spray head inthere for a good cleaning.

Just did my annual summerizing cleaning of the radiator & condenser.

1/2 inch copper pipe about 3' long with hose fitting on one end and a cap on the other with a slot cut on the side done with a hack saw. You can add a ball valve or find a hose nozzle with a threaded snout.

After pulling the shroud & spreading the condenser away from the radiator thers enogh room to get the spray head inthere for a good cleaning.

I like it. I'm going to have to do the same thing. :thumbs

I bent some tabs on the inside - attached double sided foam tape to hold them in place while the silicone adhesive dried.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since seeing Charlie's radiator wand I wanted to get one made. Went to Lowe's yesterday and tried to get parts together.

1) Copper is expensive

2) I could not find "adapters" that would fit a hose or nozzle for a hose

3) So I improvised and came out a whole lot cheaper, albeit not quite as nice, but it will work

Put the parts of an $8 "garden shower" a piece of fiber hose and a plastic elbow. All for about $10.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, as soon as it cools off today I'll pull her out a bit and give a good radiator/condensor washing. :thumbs

Thanks for the idea Charlie.

Oh and pinning this topic, got tired of searching for it.

Marana Rich

I saw something resembling that today at Sears, for 12 bucks. It has a variable nozzle, and can rotate. I am not sure if it will fit in between condenser and radiator. For 12 bucks, it might be worth the try.

Craftsman Shower Wand

I saw something resembling that today at Sears, for 12 bucks. It has a variable nozzle, and can rotate. I am not sure if it will fit in between condenser and radiator. For 12 bucks, it might be worth the try.

Craftsman Shower Wand

That would work if the head wasn't so big to fit in the space. The one I bought had something similar, but not moveable.

Great ideas .... have been looking for something for quite some time .... thx for posting up.. the one from Sears is way too fat ..... i may even use a small tube just to build some pressure ....

Mine was almost too big as well. I had to separate the condensor and radiator to make sure I didn't damage anything. Of course had to separate the fans from the radiator as well...they are right on top of each other. Also, don't use too much pressure. The fins are VERY thin and flimsy...too much pressure and you'll wind up bending a whole bunch of them and restrict air flow. But I got it all washed out and put back together. I'll take her for a spin tomorrow and see if that helps my temps. She was getting up near 220 pretty quick on the hot summer days now.

Mine was almost too big as well. I had to separate the condensor and radiator to make sure I didn't damage anything. Of course had to separate the fans from the radiator as well...they are right on top of each other. Also, don't use too much pressure. The fins are VERY thin and flimsy...too much pressure and you'll wind up bending a whole bunch of them and restrict air flow.

But I got it all washed out and put back together. I'll take her for a spin tomorrow and see if that helps my temps. She was getting up near 220 pretty quick on the hot summer days now.

I know there are solutions available for commercial A/C cleaners - helps to loosen more of the dirt and any mild corrosion. Typical garden sprayers work great for this application.

Mine was almost too big as well. I had to separate the condensor and radiator to make sure I didn't damage anything. Of course had to separate the fans from the radiator as well...they are right on top of each other. Also, don't use too much pressure. The fins are VERY thin and flimsy...too much pressure and you'll wind up bending a whole bunch of them and restrict air flow.

But I got it all washed out and put back together. I'll take her for a spin tomorrow and see if that helps my temps. She was getting up near 220 pretty quick on the hot summer days now.

I know there are solutions available for commercial A/C cleaners - helps to loosen more of the dirt and any mild corrosion. Typical garden sprayers work great for this application.

I'm wondering if you can put some solvent or other sort of "soap" in one of those weed-b-gone, miracle grow or typical vacuum-based feeders, then connect your spray nozzles to that... thus effectively turning it into a pressure washer with cleaning agent reservoir. Food for thought. :unsure

Here's another little gizmo.

Posted Image

Now THAT'S thinkin' with yer dipstick, Charlie! Nice!

Here's another little gizmo.

Posted Image

Nice! You put a bigger buff pad on there and you got a nice dress shoe buffer without the mess! Sell those puppies to the dudes at the airport! :thumbs

Doesn't that scratch the paint while buffing? Ok, J/k :facepalm:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.ot-2.com/

This is so cool turn your Iphone or Ipod touch into An OBDII Scanner/ Datalogger

Thats pretty cool, expensive but cool!

If you can get the cable, jailbreak and get the app for free!

Would you need to jailbreak? I have an Ipad and Itouch both that should work, just need the cable...