Survived another Silver State Classic Challenge

Malcolm

I competed in the Silver State Classic Challenge last weekend in the 140 mph class. After winning the 135 mph class in May and getting the best overall time, I thought it was time to move up. I had a nice smooth run and was fortunate to finish the 90 mile high speed run in one leg. You see, one of the guys in the 150 class starting before me crashed hard at the 75 mile mark in a Mustang Cobra R. He blew a tire at about 160 and went airborne off the road, clearing a fence, and then rolled. I did not see the crash as I screamed by at about 150(it was upside down out in the desert). A few cars behind me, race control stopped all cars on the course from there back (cars start 1 minute apart from each other) in order to get an ambulance to the crash. All cars in my class got a clean run and I placed 3rd with a time variance of 0.5897 seconds from the perfect time. If I would have been .05 seconds slower (yes, slower) I would have placed 1st. Some of you met my friend Bob Allyn who had the retired NASCAR Joe Nemechek car out at the Wilcox track a month or two ag. Bob ran the 125 class and was stopped on the track for about an hour and a half because of the wreck but ended up placing 4th in the class after they restarted the race for he and the others who were red flagged. He was pleased with the cars performance and he is going to work his way up to run unlimited eventually. For those of you who have reported that Silver State is on your bucket list, you ought to come out and do it. It's a blast!

Wow, Makes you think about all the times we as vette owners push our cars and blindly test fate. How do you plan for a blow out.... How is the driver doing?

You prepare for a blowout at 160 by making sure all the inportant people in your life know you love them. Congrats Malcolm!! One of these days I'll join you on one of these.

You prepare for a blowout at 160 by making sure all the inportant people in your life know you love them.

:agree That's the most profound statement I've ever read on this forum. :thumbs

Wow, Makes you think about all the times we as vette owners push our cars and blindly test fate. How do you plan for a blow out.... How is the driver doing?

runflats :edward:

There were two guys in the car - - they got themselves out of the car but were later taken via ambulance to Vegas to make sure. The Navigator was released that afternoon. The driver I believe was released the next day. Banged up and bruised but nothing major. Now the car looks more like a VW bug than an Mustang Cobra R. Blowout at 160 - - it's hard to plan for. Yes I do go with runflats but I really don't think it's gonna help much at those speeds in the case of a blowout. I do frequently scroll thru tire pressures on long straights during the race to make sure one's not going down. Yes, that is a profound statement by Big Poppa! And I would say it's true, especially for those of us running in the upper speed classes.

You prepare for a blowout at 160 by making sure all the inportant people in your life know you love them.

Best post of the day bud! :thumbs

Posted Image

There were two guys in the car - - they got themselves out of the car but were later taken via ambulance to Vegas to make sure. The Navigator was released that afternoon. The driver I believe was released the next day. Banged up and bruised but nothing major. Now the car looks more like a VW bug than an Mustang Cobra R.

Blowout at 160 - - it's hard to plan for. Yes I do go with runflats but I really don't think it's gonna help much at those speeds in the case of a blowout. I do frequently scroll thru tire pressures on long straights during the race to make sure one's not going down.

Yes, that is a profound statement by Big Poppa! And I would say it's true, especially for those of us running in the upper speed classes.

As always....very impressive Malcolm :yeah:

One of these days.......

• 11 months later...

This was last year's post and results :smilelol

Free post then?? :ok:

Yep !!!!!! :partydance:

I'll take one, thank you very much.